Here is the latest update on Rise Up Singing.
The good news is that we intend to go ahead and are proceeding along that route. However, we are still needing to move one step at a time and we cannot say a final yes until we hear the details of the government announcement on June 21st. Under current guidelines a camp is not possible so we need explicit guidance. And, even if we get the go-ahead, we may of course be faced with a turnaround even at the eleventh hour.
Meanwhile here is our current thinking on the implications for those who attend camp this year:
We want to make the camp a safe and joyful experience where we reconnect with the simple human goodness of living in community in a beautiful meadow singing our hearts out again. To make this possible everyone has a role to play. If it is to happen we need everyone’s commitment to wholeheartedly take care of one another.
Although the camp is a low risk event, it is not a no risk event. We are, after all, singing together in yurts and sharing space together for ten days. There is little we can do during the camp to reduce risk beyond normal personal hygiene. So the first thing to be clear about is that there will be no special measures on the camp beyond basic common sense.
**However, where we can be proactive in preventing covid arriving at camp is in the week or so before camp starts.** So here are the guidelines we are likely to adopt:
1) So far as is humanly and reasonably possible you can minimise your risk of exposure in the run up to camp. This is the single most important thing you can do. We will all be able to do this to varying degrees according to our circumstances but the principle is clear: the less risk you take before camp, the less the risk to the camp as a whole. We will specifically ask that you avoid attending any large event in the immediate run-up to the camp and that you do not come if you think you may have been in any way exposed to the virus.
2) Secondly, as with all our camps, we will ask that you do not come if you are feeling unwell or have a temperature. This is our standard practice for any illness.
3) Thirdly we will ask you to self test at home before coming. Lateral flow tests are available for free from the chemist and, though not foolproof, are a significant way that we can reduce the risk of covid slipping into the camp. A good protocol would be to test five days before coming and on the morning of departure from home, possibly with one more test on day five of camp. At the moment we are thinking of this as a strong recommendation rather than mandatory but this is under review and may change.
IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT OF A COVID OUTBREAK ON CAMP
We do not anticipate this as we basically trust in the maturity and wisdom of our campers to not put others at risk. However, we need to think through this scenario. If there is a covid outbreak on camp we will need to review at the time and see whether we can keep going. The worst case but feasible scenario is the closure of the camp with everyone going home and being asked to self isolate for ten days. This thought is obviously a great incentive for us all to take care of each other before camp by minimising our risk!
The second consequence of this is financial. I cannot get insurance for this which is why many other events have cancelled. If we have to close the camp after it is up and running I will not be able to refund you. So this is another part of your decision to come to camp. You will be asked to share the risk. It is the only way financially that the camp can proceed. It is also, in my view, an opportunity for us all to step up into a higher level of collective responsibility.
I will update this page when we have the June 21st announcement